In its second season the fixtures moved to Saturdays.The club joined the Dorset & Wilts leagues in 1994 but withdrew as the travelling involved was too burdensome.
There is an electoral ward with the name of 'Cricklade and Latton', which combines Cricklade parish with its neighbours to the northeast: Latton and Marston Maisey.
The population of the ward recorded in the 2011 census was 4,982.
It is one of thirty burhs (fortresses or fortified towns) recorded in the Burghal Hidage document, which describes a system of fortresses and fortified towns built around Wessex by King Alfred.
Recent research has suggested that these burhs were built in the short period 878–79 both to defend Wessex against the Vikings under Guthrum, and to act as an offensive to the Viking presence in Mercia.
The manpower needed to build this was probably roughly the same as was needed to build the original turf and clay defences.
This wall, which would have considerably strengthened the defensive capabilities of the burh, has recently been suggested as having been inserted in the 890s.In the second phase, the front of the bank, which after probably only a short period of time had become somewhat degraded, was replaced by a stone wall.This encircled the defences on all four of its sides.It was the home of a royal mint from 979 to 1100; there are some Cricklade coins in the town museum.The Domesday book records Cricklade as the meeting place of Cricklade hundred in 1086.The clock stands outside the Vale Hotel in High Street, where the Town Cross once stood; there are two versions of the cross in Cricklade, one in the churchyard of St Sampson's, the other at St Mary's, and there is local rivalry as to which one is believed to be the older.